Spiced Small Potatoes (Dum Aloo)
This dish is one of my favorite appetizers. Even though the original recipe is mainly used as a side curry for Indian breads like roti, pori etc, but in my household, this is more popular as an appetizer. The reason for that is, it goes very well with sweet drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) and balances out the sweetness with instant spice.
Back home in Kolkata we have these street vendors who sell Pani Pori also known as Golgappa, or in Bengali Puchka. They also sell these small spiced potato as another snack item. It is quite popular and we enjoy it as it is without any main dish. My recipe is more towards this taste than the original one.
I have used canned potatoes for this recipe because they are skinned, already cooked and uniform small-sized potatoes. But we can easily use any small potatoes, with or without skin, and boil them with salt on stovetop or in microwave.
I generally perforate the potatoes with fork to get the juice inside. One key to this recipe is once the sauce is made and you add the potatoes in, leave it to sim which is called “dum” for some time, to get the sauce soaked into the potatoes.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2 Cans (15 oz) of Small Potatoes
- 1 Cup of chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt (as per taste)
- 3-4 Green Chillies halved (as per taste)
- 1/4 Cup of chopped Coriander eaves
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Add ginger and green chillies, mix it. Wait till the splattering stops.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, and turmeric,
- Fry till the tomatoes cooked
- Add drained potatoes
- Mix well, adjust salt
- Add chopped coriander leaves
- Cover and sim, let it cook for 15 mins.
2 thoughts on “Spiced Small Potatoes (Dum Aloo)”