Red Lentils (Masoor Dal) Soup
Dal is almost a “must” in our main meals and “Masoor Dal” being high in protein, nutrients, as well as inexpensive, is very popular. Red Lentils or Masoor Dal is one of the easiest and most commonly cooked dal in Bengal. This dal can be cooked in various ways. Today I will share a recipe that I had tasted at one of our family friend’s house in Bay Area back in the days when I just came to the USA. My friend is an excellent cook and a lot of my cooking is influenced by her. The first time I tasted this dal in her house, I fell in love with, and then on it was always a hit in my kitchen as well as in small gatherings. Today’s recipe is dedicated to that big sister of mine, who is the original owner of this recipe.
This easy to make Dal preparation has a balanced sweet, sour, and spicy taste which makes it very unique. It goes very well with boiled rice. This dal can also be served as soup.
- 1 Cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt (as per taste)
- 4 Green Chillies
- 3/4 Cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Celery Seeds (Radhuni)
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Pinch of Asafetida (Hing)
- 1 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- Boil the dal with 3 cups of water
- Once the water starts boiling add turmeric, salt and 2 green chillies
- After the dal is cooked, mash it well
- In a pan heat oil
- Add Asafetida, curry leaves, celery seeds, and remaining 2 green chillies, wait for them to spatter
- Add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are cooked
- Add dal, sugar and adjust salt.
- Add Coriander leaves and wait to boil.