Nababi Chole (Curried Garbanzo Beans)
Chole which is commonly known as Chickpea is a very popular and widely used legume that is very high in protein. It is known by names like Garbanzo Beans, Bengal Gram, Chana, Chole, Egyptian pea in various parts of the world. There are many different ways these beans are consumed, like curries, hummus, snacks, salads and many more. Today I will share a very simple yet delicious curry that can be enjoyed with steamed rice or rotis or bread. It is excellent sides for fancy occasions as well as in a daily meal.
There are few tips while boiling the Garbanzo bean to retain its moisture. I add a pinch of baking soda and a couple of tablespoons of tea along with salt and water. While making Indian curries I also prefer to boil with some cardamom, cloves and one bay leaf for aroma. But all of these are optional, they just enhance the flavor.
This recipe is a little different from the traditional chole, as here I used coconut milk. It has a creamy rich taste that can be further enhanced by adding cream, though I generally use milk instead. I have used “Barista” which is crispy fried onion in the recipe. It is optional, but can be bought from store ready-made, or one can make it at home, by deep frying the sliced onion.
9 hrPrep Time
45 minCook Time
9 hr, 45 Total Time
- 2 Cups of Garbanzo Beans (Chole)
- 5 Cups of water
- 11/2 tbsp salt (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 13.5 oz Can of lite Coconut Milk ( 1 1/2 cups is enough)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sliced Onion
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Whole Garam Masala (Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon Sticks)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Barista (Crispy Fried onion) (Optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
- Soak 2 cups of Garbanzo Beans in 4 cups of water overnight
- Boil in soaked beans with 1 tbsp salt, and a few cardamom, cloves.
- I used Instant pot, in manual mode, high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Once cools down for 5 minutes, let the pressure out and dish out the boiled beans.
- Turn the Instant Pot in Saute mode
- Add oil, add whole garam masala, bay leaf, fry for half a minute
- Add sliced onion, ginger, garlic, fry well.
- Add red chili powder, mix well
- Add the coconut milk, sliced green chillies, sugar.
- let it boil, adjust salt
- Add boiled beans, mix well
- Add cup of milk, lower the heat, and let it cook in low heat for 10 minutes
- Add Garam Masala and 1tsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Add chopped coriander leaves, crispy onion, and cover and let it sit few minutes (Optional)