Fried Beans with Roasted Sesame Seeds
Fried Beans with Roasted Sesame Seeds is another popular dish in my household. It is a quick and easy side that can be paired with any Eastern or Western meals. Beans are in any form great, but adding roasted sesame seeds makes them crunchier, as well as healthier.
I do not remember the actual source of this recipe, but it was an improvisation of a western bean casserole recipe, where I added a little of my Asian touch. I do like my dishes to tickle as many senses as possible without overpowering the main ingredient. This is one such dish that I can finish as it is without anything to pair with.
This recipe only has a handful of ingredients and very quick to make. I cook this dish in high heat, without cover, so often I chop the beans in small pieces for quicker cook time. The high heat gives a nice crunchier texture. Dry roasted sesame seed is something that can be used in many dishes. The sesame seeds have many health benefits, including building a strong immune system, reducing blood sugar, support for bones, and many more. You can find more details here.
You can use any oil, including garlic-flavored olive oil if you are not fond of garlic. I do like the garlic flavor, so prefer to add extra chopped garlic instead of paste. The same goes for the dried red chilies, if add more or less or omit completely depending on your preference. But do add enough freshly ground black pepper, and dry roasted sesame seeds at the end. I pair this dish with steamed rice, or Indian bread like Roti, Naan, as well as paired it perfectly with Western side dishes. It is a complete hit at Thanksgiving Dinner as well as usual WeekNight sides.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 Cups of Chopped Fresh Green Beans
- 2 tbsp of Oil
- 2 tsp of Chopped Garlic
- 2 Dried red Chillies
- 1 tbsp Dry Roasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt (as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper (as per taste)
- Heat the frying pan, and dry roast the sesame seeds.
- Dish out the sesame seeds.
- Can be made ahead of time or can store for future use.
- Heat Oil in the frying pan.
- Add Red Chillies, and Garlic, sautéed for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped green beans, and fry in high heat.
- Add salt and pepper and cook till beans are tender.
- Turn the burner off and add dry roasted sesame seeds.
- Enjoy !!